Skip to main content

HISTORY

THS Principals

Mr. John M. Foote (1908-1910)
Mr. A.E. Phillips (1910-1914)
Mr. O.H. Briendenbach (1914-1918)
Mr. P.G. Rogers (1918-1921)
Mr. M.S. Robertson (1921-1922)
Mr. E.L. Talbot (1922-1940)
Mr. Charles A. LeBlanc (1940-1955)
Mr. Louis D. Rogers (1955-1968)
Mr. Warren G. Sevin (1968-1982)
Mr. John Wayne Chaisson (1982-1988)
Mr. Ulyse J. Louviere (1988-1995)
Mr. David C. Bourg (1995-2003)
Mr. Graham Douglas (2003-2013)
Mr. Julio Contreras (2013-present)

 

1822-1909
Led by Henry Schuyler Thibodeaux, whose home was in present day Schriever, Terrebonne Parish was carved out of the southwest portion of Lafourche parish in 1822. In that time, the area had wildlife such as bald eagles, wolves, puma, and buffalo in the area. The first attempt at a town was Williamsburg, located in the Bayou Cane area (just south of the Southland Mall). The first courthouse and jail were built there. In that year, five persons were appointed to the parish school board ... Francis Guyal, WIlliam Watkins, Henry S. Thibodaux, Leufroy Barras, and Henry M. Thibodeaux.

At that time, settlers of the parish wanted to move the parish seat further down the bayou, closer to the road that went from Bayou Terrebonne to Bayou Black. Hubert M. Belanger and Richard H. Grinage donated a section of land (1 arpent front by 10 arpents deep) to the parish. The rest of their property was divided into lots and sold. That land became the nucleus of the town of Houma, which was founded in 1834.

A school was built on the block behind the courthouse in the early 1840s by Alex McMaster (the fellow who built the courthouse and jail). On June 11, 1849, an ordinance was passed to allow the police jury to donate land on which to build a school. That donation occurred in 1853. A lot (100' wide facing Church St.) on the block behind the courthouse was donated to the directors of the 4th school district. An 1849 issue of DeBow’s Review mentions a large brick school house in Houma. It was a plastered brick structure about 30’ deep by 60’ wide. The white-columned front of the building faced Church Street. A later addition to the rear of the building was painted red.

An early private educational institution in Houma was the Houma Academy. It was organized in 1858 and built on land donated by R.R. Barrow. In 1870, the building was sold to the Catholic church and became known as St. Francis de Sales Academy.

Many other small public schools were constructed around the parish to meet the education needs of the various communities. Another issue in 1851 of DeBow’s states that Terrebonne Parish had 13 public schools. It also mentions that an excellent free school at Houma is well patronized. All of these schools were for elementary grades. Wealthier citizens might pay for private tutors that would help their children pass the entrance exams to get into institutions of higher learning.
 


After the Civil War, the Constitutional Convention of 1868 passed an article saying students would be admitted to classes "without distinction of race, color or previous condition." Due to the segregationist ideas of the day, the white population objected to mixed races in the schools and often kept their children home.

The old two-room brick school (left) behind the courthouse was one of these schools that had a white teacher but only African-American students. Soon after, a white school opened on the bayouside of Main Street between Barrow and Roussell. Its one teacher was said to be a carpetbag appointee.

In 1872, another resolution was passed to allow the school board to build a school on that block. That was also the year that the city voted to build a firehouse on the batture in front of the courthouse block.

After Governor Nicholls was elected in 1878, the integrated system faded and white children began returning to schools. Though the Constitution of 1879 required a superintendent of schools for each parish, the low salary of $200 per year and no qualifications for the job ensured that people ill-equipped to lead education were often hired. The school system in Terrebonne Parish made little progress for the next 20 years.

In 1896, the leaders of Houma applied to the Secretary of State for a charter to establish a high school in the town. The same year, the "rooster" fire hall (named due to its rooster weather vane) was moved from that batture opposite the courthouse to the block behind the courthouse. It had been donated to be used as a school.

In 1898-99, the High School Auxiliary and High School Association were formed to promote the idea of a high school for the parish. At that time, the fire hall was used for older students, while the older school building on the north side of the block was used for elementary students. It was placed south of the old brick school in the middle of the block facing Church Street. The former firehouse and old school were used for both elementary and high school classes. The older brick structure on the north side of the block was the girls’ school, while the fireman’s hall was used as the boys’ school.

In 1904, superintendent W.P. Tucker brought in 20-year-old John M. Foote as head of the Houma schools. He also taught mathematics. Another math teacher, Mr. Moise Levy, acted as an unofficial assistant principal.

In 1908, THS was approved as a state high school. Jennie and the other high school students attended school at the old fireman’s hall. Elementary students attended class in the brick building on the north side of the block.

It was the old rooster building that graduated its first student from high school in 1908. Miss Jennie Klingman was the only graduate that year. After graduation she went to Louisiana Normal School to become a teacher. She returned to teach grammar school at THS (primary, grammar, and high school students all attended school on the same block). The marble marker by the oak tree in the front of THS was dedicated to her on the 70th anniversary of her graduation.
That was also the year of the first yearbook, the Panorama. It was called the Panorama because "it revealed to the people of Terrebonne a life-like view of student life at Terrebonne High."

The first editor was Alice Aitkens. That first edition included histories of the library, the Ladies Auxiliary, and the Sugar Belt Athletic and Literary Association.

The administration knew that the old fireman’s hall was not the best facility for a high school. Mr. Foote used to carry around a hammer and nails to point out the need for a new high school building. On May 12, 1908, third ward property owners voted a special tax towards the construction of Houma's first high school. On July 7, 1908, it was announced that bids would be taken for a new high school.

Mr. Foote's tenure as principal was short-lived. When Mr. W.P. Tucker passed away in 1909, Mr. Foote succeeded him as superintendent. Terrebonne Parish finally had a professionally trained educator as superintendent and the move towards a better educational system was underway.

1909-1918
The administration knew that the old fireman’s hall was not the best facility for a high school. Mr. Foote used to carry around a hammer and nails to point out the need for a new high school building. On May 12, 1908, third ward property owners voted a special tax towards the construction of Houma's first high school.

On July 7, 1908, it was announced that bids would be taken for the new building. The first building constructed as a high school in Terrebonne Parish was completed in 1909. Built to handle up to 400 students, it was located on the corner of Goode and Point Streets behind the St. Francis de Sales church.

When Mr. W.P. Tucker passed away in 1909, Mr. Foote succeeded him and became the first professionally trained educator to serve as superintendent. The second principal of THS, Mr. A.E. Phillips, served from 1910 to 1914. Oddly enough, the 1910 census noted he had been previously employed in the sewing machine business.

With a larger school capable of handling more students, the Superintendent Foote began work on consolidating the school system in 1910. Rather than have many small schools scattered around the parish, students would be given the opportunity to travel to Houma to attend school. Obviously, transportation was an issue. To help foster attendance from outside the city, boats (known as transfers) were used to shuttle students to and from school.

In 1911, several new endeavors began at THS. In that year, the commercial (business) classes began. The tennis club started that school year. At the end of the school year, the juniors began holding an annual event in which they bid farewell to the seniors.

Even in its early days, there were student organizations. The 4H club began a group at THS in 1914. Other clubs of the day included the Glee Club, the Reporter’s Club, and two literary societies (Washington Irving and Alpha Beta Gamma).

One of the earliest sports at THS was football. The organization of the program in those days was very casual. For example, the coach for the 1914 team was the quarterback Allen LeCompte. The earliest surviving yearbook (1915) reveals the males played football, basketball, baseball, track, and had a tennis club. Girls played baseball and basketball as well. Most sports were made up of class teams that played against each other in-school. While there were in-school football games, the football team did play other schools. Their 1914 record was 2-2-1. The girls’ basketball team also played several games against other teams.

At that time, the high school grades consisted of eighth through twelfth grades. For the 1914-1915 school year, 53.8% of students passed all subjects. A bit more than half (59%) of the student body was female. Those females were also scoring better grades than the males (85.1% to 79.8%). The average age of both boys and girls in high school was 17. Attendance at high school was 94%. The common punishment for talking and other offenses was to stay 45 minutes after dismissal (for girls) or to walk “tours” around the block a number of times (for boys). In the spring, there would be an annual rally in which students from around the parish met at THS for academic and athletic competition.

A large clock was purchased (with the funds raised by the 1914 senior play) and placed in the hallway. Statues of Washington, Lee, Franklin, and Longfellow were placed in the library in 1915. Two large pictures on the “Evolution of the Book” were placed in the hallway. Though the Ladies’ Auxiliary bought many books for the library, the senior play “Puss in Boots” also contributed money for books after the funds were used to pay for the Panorama.

The year 1914 brought a new superintendent, Mr. Henry L. Bourgeois, who had been the principal of the Romesville High School. Mr. Foote moved to a new job and eventually ended up in Baton Rouge as the supervisor for rural schools statewide. Mr. Bourgeois continued Mr. Foote’s efforts to consolidate the schools. The number of boat transfers increased. The boats were joined by buses in the early 1930s.

The yearbook, previously published only in 1908, resumed publication in 1913. It was also produced in 1914, 1915, and 1916. The next yearbook would not be published until 1938. The 1913 yearbook contained the THS alma mater, pledging allegiance to a flag of crimson and gold. The early yearbooks give us a glimpse at school life in those days.

If you know someone that has a 1908 Panorama, please let us know so we can ask to make a copy!

When Mr. Phillips left to become Superintendent of Schools in Arkadelphia, Arkansas in 1914, Mr. O. H. Briedenbach (then principal of Bunkie High School) became principal of THS. The student population was 950, 110 of which were in the high school department. Though called Terrebonne High School, students from primary grades through seniors attended classes in the building.

During Briedenbach's tenure as principal (1914-1918), it became apparent that the student body was outgrowing the relatively new building. Plans were made for a new school to be located on the block behind the courthouse. The old rooster firehouse and the old school building on the block were torn down at that time. A contract for a new school building was signed on April 3, 1918.

In those days, students had to pass an entrance exam to enter college. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools established an accreditation program whereby accredited school graduates did not have to take the exam. In 1914, Terrebonne High became the second high school in the state (after Saline High School in 1905) to receive accreditation. Two other schools were accredited in 1914.

1918-1940
The second high school building built in Houma was completed in 1918 at a cost of $100,000. Another $2000 was raised by the high school and the Auxiliary for books and shelves in the library. The student population of Terrebonne Parish at that time was 2504. The Houma schools had an enrollment of 600 in grade school and 44 at the high school level. The faculty of THS was increased from seven to eleven to handle the increasing number of students.

The old 1909 building was then used as Houma Elementary school. It was finally torn down in 1976.
Clicking on the map (left) shows a larger view with both schools (each marked as THS) ... with the 1918 school located just below the courthouse and the 1909 school located below the Catholic cemetery. The aerial image (below) shows both the 1909 and 1918 school buildings.

Mr. P. C. Rogers, the first principal of the new high school, served from 1918 through 1921. He was followed by Mr. M. S. Robertson (1921 to 1922) and then by Mr. E. L. Talbot in 1922 - who served for 18 years.
 

The THS newspaper, the Mirror, began in the 1920s as a 6-page monthly. The first editor was Ethel Bourg. Although one source says the school paper was first published on January 19, 1923, the first “regular” publication probably began in the following school year (since 1924 is considered to be volume 1). Publication was sometimes sporadic. In 1935-36, for example, there were only three issues.

The lack of yearbooks and surviving newspapers from the 1920s and 1930s make it difficult to reconstruct THS events during that time.

An article in the Houma Times (click on image to the right to view entire article) provides a glimpse into the THS graduation of 1925. Graduation ceremonies were held at the Grand Theatre as Superintendent Bourgeois presented the thirty-two graduates with their diplomas.

After oil was discovered in Terrebonne Parish in 1929, the development of the petroleum industry brought significant growth in the population. By the 1930s, the school system realized that a larger structure would be needed. The school board purchased property from Hugh S. Suthon on June 9, 1934. Instead of building on this property, they decided on another location and later sold this land.

By 1934, there were also 18 smaller white grade schools located around the parish. This included 3 one-room schools (Coteau, Point au Chien, Cocodrie), two and four-room schools (Chauvin, Gibson, Bayou Black, Ellendale, Boudreaux Canal, Ashland, Little Caillou, Bayou Cane), larger schools up to nine rooms in size (Schriever, Montegut, Bourg, Dularge, Lacache, Donner, Grand Caillou). When a student reached the highest grade at a school, they then moved on to a nearby school where higher grades were taught. There were also several schools for African-Americans, and the Methodist Church had begun teaching Native Americans in Dulac.

At THS, the teachers in 1934 were: Mr. Russell Miller, Miss Isabel Lund, Miss Thais Micas Mrs. Floyd Bourg, Miss Eleanor Marrioneaux, Miss Una Parr, Miss Mary Cullen, Miss Rhea St. Martin, Miss Tom Turner, Mr. C.C. Couvillion, and Miss Lucia Easton (who also taught elementary grades).

Although there was no yearbook in the 1930s until 1938, a document was contributed that appears to be the groundwork for such a publication. It mentions that 5000 pictures were taken that year, though none were present in the document.

In 1938, the Mirror staff decided to resume publication of an annual, or yearbook. It was called the Terrebonne Mirror for the 1938 and 1939 editions..

A separate yearbook staff began in 1939. The lack of yearbooks and surviving newspapers from the 1920s and 1930s make it difficult to reconstruct THS events during that time.

Those first two yearbooks show us what life was like at THS in the pre-war days. The clubs were Los Camarados (Spanish club), Le Cercle Francais (French club), Etti Ketters (girls manners club), Better Life Club, the Glee Club, Local Talent Club, Literary Club, Latin Club, Stentorian Club, Girls and Boys Athletic Clubs, and Future Farmers of America.

The school board bought a piece of land of about 275’ along Main Street just north of the city from Paul Adam on June 14, 1938. Mr. Adam had acquired the land from the estate of Gabriel Montague fourteen years earlier. The school system was aided in construction of the new school by federal funds through the Administration of Public Works. WPA Project 1228-F called for the construction of “Terrebonne Parish High School and Athletic Field.” The architects for the new school were Wogan & Bernard. The budget cost for the new school was set at $775, 637. The federal government supplied a $323, 091 grant and the remainder was financed by the school board.
 

1940-1977
1940s

The new school was built in three parts. Contractor for the school and foundation, Lionel F. Favret, began work in 1938. The 20-acre foundation cost about $40,000 and was completed by 1939. The steel reinforced concrete floor was built upon concrete pilings.
 
Contractor Herman T. Makofsky was in charge of constructing the athletic field. The quarter-mile cinder track, built on an oyster shell base, was laid on the south side of the school. It was edged by a concrete curb. Wooden bleachers were placed at the side and a football field was laid out in the middle. Various pits for jumping were also added. Prior to this time, THS football was played at the American Legion Park.

Construction of the school's superstructure began upon completion of the foundation. It was completed in the summer of 1940. Although the class of 1940 had attended school all year at the building on Church Street, the auditorium was completed early enough to allow them to hold their commencement exercises there. When school resumed in September, classes were held in the new building. The 1918 school building became Houma Junior High School (and later Houma Central). In addition to getting a new school, THS got a new principal after Mr. Talbot retired in 1940. His replacement was THS science teacher and coach, Charles A. LeBlanc.

The 1940 Trawler described the new facility as “complete in every detail, modern and practical, comprising an athletic unit, a vocational department, a home economics department, a cafeteria, and every facility for academic development."

It was built with sixteen inch solid brick walls set on a concrete footing. The exterior was covered with face brick and Indiana limestone. The classroom doors were made of walnut with brass hardware. The lobby walls are covered with brown marble. A mural in the lobby depicts the path of education from the beginning of history to the present. The library at the west end of the second floor was built to accommodate 12,000 volumes. The auditorium was built to seat 1010 people and included a house and stage lighting system. Though the auditorium walls were originally paneled in walnut, they were later replaced with beige ceramic tile due to moisture damage to the wood. The tower rising above the main building contains air ducts on the fourth floor and a water tank on the fifth floor. The tank was used to provide emergency water pressure and as part of the heating system. A separate structure on the circle side of the school contained the boiler room. A gym, with dressing rooms on opposite ends for boys and girls, was built at the rear of the main building. The capacity of the new school was listed at 1100 to 1300 students.

The year before it was built, there were 758 students at THS. After completion of the new building, the other 149 high school age students in the country schools could be accommodated. The track, built on an oyster shell base, was laid on the south side of the school. Wooden bleachers were placed at the side.

Organizations at the school in that day included band, THS Thespians, THS Drill Squad, Le Cercle Francais, 4-H club, The Actors of Tomorrow, Biology Club, THS Literary Club, Etti Ketters (girl’s etiquette club) and the Boys’ Etiquette Club, Future Farmers of America Creed, Declamation and Debating Club, Music Club, the Commercial Club, Library Club, Boys Athletic Club, Girls Athletic Club, and the Better Citizens Club.



The 1940 yearbook got a new name. After being called the Mirror for two years (1938, 1939), a yearbook naming contest was held. The winner, sophomore Earnest Bonvillain, suggested the name Trawler. After producing hardcover yearbooks for two years (1940, 1941), the yearbook was reduced in size and had a paper cover in 1942 due to the paper shortage during the war. It was further reduced in size in 1943, when the booklet was called the Pirogue. Though there was no yearbook produced in 1944, 1945, and 1946, publication resumed in 1947 and has occurred uninterrupted every year since. The Trawler staff met in the tower room on the third floor at that time.

A common hangout for students was the a grocery story owned by Weldon Dupre’s family located in front of the school.

In the 1940s, several classes donated cement benches that were placed on the school grounds.

It was the class of 1943 that resurrected the Alma Mater. The original song can be found in the 1913 yearbook, which shows that the song actually had two verses and a chorus (lyrics; listen ) . The tune, however, had been forgotten by that time. Music teacher Hal. M. Gilder worked with THS graduate J. Louis Watkins (who recalled the original tune) to reconstruct the melody. Today, only the first verse is used.
 
The praises of Terrebonne High School sing.
Your voices raise on high.
Her glorious name to the breezes fling,
'Til echoes rend the skies.
For noble deeds, for honor brigh,
For truth's unbroken sway.
For victories won in virtue's fight,
We herald her fame today.

CHORUS
Here's to our school with the sons so brave
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah! Terrebonne High
Here's to our "Profs" and our teachers grave
Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah! Terrebonne!
Here's to our flag of the crimson and gold
O! May it always honor hold
Then here's to our school our joy and pride,
Shout! Terrebonne High!

Hurrah for the Terrebonne High School sing
Be loud her praises told
Long may her flag in splendor wave
The crimson and the gold
For her we'll sing, for her we'll stand
Her name we all adore
The High School girls join heart and hand
To cherish her evermore.


In the 1940s, several classes donated cement benches that were placed around the school grounds.

The effects of World War II were felt at THS. Students did what they could to help. Activities included a growing a victory garden, collecting scrap metal, knitting afghans, making utility bags and slippers for soldiers, and gathering supplies such as silk stockings.

In 1945, Coach Tom Smith started an intramural sports program. Coach Smith had begun his tenure at the school in 1933. The stadium built in the mid-1950s is named in his honor. 

1950s

In the 1950s, it was common to have Beauty Courts. Photos of the court were sent to a famous person who would pick a winner. Some of the judges included Bing Crosby and Horace Heidt.

In 1953, a War Memorial at the base of the Terrebonne High School flagpole was built. This monument lists the men from Terrebonne Parish who died for their country in World War I and in World War II. A container with information on the people listed on the monument and the monument’s construction was placed inside the base of the monument. Contributions by Terrebonne Parish students starting during World War II helped to pay for the monument. Names of those who died in the Korean and Vietnam Wars were later added to the monument.

In 1953, the Quarterback Club and the school board helped to start work on a stadium. It was designed by the same architects that had designed the school. It was completed during the 1954-55 school year. The concrete bleachers contained about 6,000 fiberglass seats. Beneath the bleachers on the east (visitors) side were classrooms for vocal music and band. The rooms beneath the west (home) side were designed for athletics and boys P.E.

In 1955, Louis D. Rogers followed Mr. LeBlanc as principal of Terrebonne High School.

Student Council was started during his first year. Each homeroom elected a representative and a constitution was created. A work-study program (distributive education) was introduced during Mr. Rogers’ tenure.

In 1958, the guidance facilities – located in room 316 at that time - and services were expanded. At that time, THS had 34 classrooms, 47 teachers, 1 guidance counselor, and 2 principals. Boats (32 at that time) were still being used as transfers and transported 1000 students each day.

1960s

By 1960 Spanish and remedial programs in reading had been added to the curriculum.

With the construction of South Terrebonne High School in Bourg in 1961, THS was no longer the only public high school in the parish. The new high school took in most of the students on the east side of the Intercoastal Canal.

In 1962 a major renovation program added a new air-conditioned cafeteria. It expanded the area originally used for home economics. The home economics classes were moved to the original cafeteria space. The guidance department was moved to the second floor, across the hall from the administrative offices. The offices and teachers’ lounge were air conditioned. Lighting in the auditorium and at the football stadium were modernized. Refrigerated water fountains were installed in the main building. Covered walkways were built in the bus loading area for shelter during bad weather.

The following year, two new science labs were added. The present rooms 101 and 102 science labs were formally the shop class. The roof on the main building was replaced. Covered walkways to both sides of the stadium were built. The baseball field was also equipped with lights in 1963. The football field recieved a new scoreboard. THe gym floor was refinished at this time.

In 1967 the Cooperative Office Education work-study program began.

In 1968 Warren G. Sevin became principal of Terrebonne High. There were 83 different courses offered at THS at that time.

In 1969-1970, Terrebonne High School was integrated with a portion of the student population of the Southdown High School – an all-black school.

For that year, Terrebonne High School and Houma Junior High School became one school with a single principal and two assistant principals at each building.

The schools separated the following year as Terrebonne High School Junior Division (grades nine and ten) and Terrebonne High School Senior Division (grades 11 and 12).

1970s

Additional renovations took place in 1971-72. They included replastering, new tile floors in most classrooms, and new venetian blinds. The following year a new baseball field was built behind Southdown School for THS athletics. The seats in the auditorium were refinished that year as well.

As the parish population grew, so did the student population. The largest graduating class was 1972 with 572 seniors. A new school was built in Gray to handled students in the northern portion of the parish. Classes began at H. L. Bourgeois High School on December 3, 1973.

In 1973, a new baseball field was built behind Southdown School. The auditorium seats were also refinished that year.
1977-Present
1970s

The largest renovation project ($2.1 million) at THS took place from the summer of 1976 to the summer of 1977. The student body platooned with Houma Junior High that year, with THS students attending in the morning and HJH students attending in the afternoon. A new library was built behind the auditorium. The old library above the cafeteria was turned into a classroom and the journalism room. A new athletic field house was constructed at the north end of the football field. The original heating system was replaced with central heating and air-conditioning. The electrical wiring, lighting, and plumbing was replaced. The entire building was cleaned, waterproofed, and repainted. New lab furniture was installed in the science rooms. In the old gym, the floor was refinished and a spiral staircase was added to reach the second floor. The girls’ locker rooms were renovated with all new equipment.

By 1978, there were 132 courses offered at THS. These included psychology, American government, advanced mathematics, chemistry, physics, typing, shorthand and office machines, home economics, French, band, athletics and Tigerettes. In 1980 the curriculum was further enhanced with a Senior Honors Incentive Program (SHIP), Advanced Placement (AP) courses, and Special Education courses.

At that time, Terrebonne High School had courses in American history, art, biology, chemistry II, English IV, music and physics that corresponded to the College Entrance Exam Board Advanced Placement program. After completing the course and passing the Advanced Placement Exam, college credit may be obtained.

1980s

A Senior Honors Incentive Program (SHIP), was begun in 1980.

Mr. John Wayne Chaisson was appointed principal of Terrebonne High School in 1982. During his tenure computer science, computer literacy, business arithmetic, business English, environmental science, and the honors program were added to the curriculum.

In 1987, Parents for Education (PFE) at Terrebonne High was established to assist the academic and extra-curricular programs. Their fund-raising efforts have benefited many areas of the school. These include: instruments for the band, athletic equipment, science supplies, new furniture for the guidance office and teachers’ lounge, maintenance equipment and supplies, transportation, and the journalism department.

Some of the clubs at THS at this time were the Omega Club, Science Club, Computer Club, and Quiz Bowl Team, Student Council, Key Club, History Club, Muntu Club and Journalism Club.

In 1988, Ulyse J. Louviere became principal of Terrebonne High. The following year, the G.E.D. Program was added to the curriculum to encourage potential drop outs to remain in school.

1990s

In 1990, the Gifted and Talented class was re-installed to address the needs of higher level students. In 1991, the school purchased new curtains for the auditorium. A system was begun to change seats one group at a time in order to finish the task over a period of several years.

Mr. David C. Bourg was appointed principal in 1995.

The school curriculum changed to a 4-Block plan at the beginning of the 1996-1997 school year. Instead of six classes a day for the entire year, this plan calls for four ninety minute classes a term. The school year is divided into fall and spring terms, so that a student can take up to eight classes a year instead of six.

2000s

In 2003, Graham Douglas was appointed THS principal.